kx500 problem

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

orderofsion

kx500 problem

Post by orderofsion »

can anyone help me ? when i start my kx500 from cold (1 or 2 kicks ) it revs its nuts off . after a few minutes it settles down and it doesnt do it when warm . although tickover can still be a bit too high . i've had the head checked for flatness and replaced the oil seals . the throttle slide is worn quite badly , could that cause it ?
HELP
michael

kx500

Post by michael »

hi have you looked on your connections between carb and cylinder for cracks and other displacments ive tried starting gas if any cracks the engine will stop you have to look at the exhaust side too it must me seald too, finally ive tuned up the idling jet to 70 that works for me
stroker

Post by stroker »

Could be fuel dribbling into crankcases when not in use, leaving loads of fuel around the crank on start up.
To check if it is this, turn of fuel and run motor out of fuel. Disconnect fuel line from tank, while storing bike. When you next use it should solve problem.
(Obviously it won't start if you don't reconnect the fuel line and turn the fuel on, just stating the obvious!)
:-D