Engine help/advice needed.

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

singlesman

Engine help/advice needed.

Post by singlesman »

Hi all, this may seem a strange request but I'm hoping to to build a road race bike using the largest capacity, most powerful single cylinder 2-stroke motor that I can fit into a 250 GP road race chassis. Rideability and reliability also figure in the equation somewhere. Any ideas/suggestions as to which engine would be best suited most gratefully recieved. Thanks, Paul.
chris long

re road race

Post by chris long »

you could try kevin hollister he has fitted a mth 650 in a road race 250 chassis and the rider has done very well on it his no is 07770848461 tell him chris long told you to ring regards chris
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Many thanks for the reply Chris, will give Kevin a call.
orderofsion

Post by orderofsion »

I've got a tiny cafe racer with a kx500 engine and it is amazingly fast. Geared for 125mph tops it'll wheelspin at 70 in the wet as the power comes on,my point being that whichever engine you use MTH,Zabel etc you will end up with a mindblowing bike . I have been preparing to start work on another bike and have been looking at the merits of the different engines available.There are the 500's cr,kx both produce about 55hp in the real world,I've never had a cr but my kx has been very reliable even to the extent that I used it for my to day bike,going to work,down the shops etc .
There are the MTH 630 and I think 700, and the Zabel 700.All of these engines will produce alot more power,about 75-80hp but they are pretty highly tuned,a Zabel piston has a running life of about 7 hours and I have been told that pistons can cost upto £200!Also I dont know if these engines can run on unleaded like the 500's.And finaly there is the Maico 620 and 685 65-70hp in standard road trim,lights are available . These are the engines that the Zabels are based on but they are not as highly tuned , aparantly the 685 is all low down torque where as the 620 has a wider usable rev range with a proper top end kick . That was my choice so thats what I bought , it should be up and running by 2006.
orderofsion

Post by orderofsion »

Me again . I forgot to say you may want to think carefully about the steering geometry of your 250 , these mega high torque engines will lift the front end of a 100kg bike every time you open the throttle , my first chassis couldnt manage when ridden on most roads and would tank slap at the slightest chance , even white lines . Also all of the engines mentioned with the exception of the 500's are left foot kickers and right hand drives.